Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Arnolfini Portrait

As a child I lived quite near to London and made many visits to the wonderful galleries and museums.
One of my regrets living so far from the centre of Israel is that I now rarely get a chance to visit museums or national art galleries.

Luckily the internet, as always, can help out.

The National Gallery in London has a wide and varied collection and they have created a beautiful website.
The paintings are arranged by artist or by collection. There are tour and guides and even podcasts. I particulaly like the 'Painting of the month' .

What makes this website special is the zoom-in feature that allows you to examine the paintings. More closely than you are able to do at the actual gallery.

One of my favourite paintings is 'Portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and his Wife' by van Eyck. This is a painting we studied at school. I still find it fascinating

1 comment:

amyrpk said...

Very hugely cool. Thanks for the links.

The Internet has made moving from one side of the world to the other so much easier, hasn't it? I recently discovered that I can "take out" audiobooks and videos from my old library in the States through my old library's website (since I've got a still-valid library card). An awesome thing.