Tuesday, July 18, 2006

After the weekend


Sunday was a frenzy of inactivity.


I tried to create some kind of routine so the children wouldn’'t spend all day in the front of the TV.

After breakfast I gave them English worksheets to complete and then insisted they read for a while.


My husband was transfixed by the news and I looked at the Internet in between answering emails and checking the worksheets the children had completed.

Situation or no situation there is always housework to be done so I ploughed through the weekend dishes and made a start on the laundry.

My laundry room is open and along with a gentle breeze I could feel the heat of the day. In the open air the booms seemed much closer.


At 11 o’'clock my husband was supposed to return to work. Desperate for fresh air I ordered the children into the security room and joined him in the entrance as he waited for the work'’s bus.

Our street was bathed in beautiful yellow sunshine, deserted except for a few people sheltering under the buildings. A quick phone call confirmed that the bus was not coming; the army would not allow the factory to open.

Excellent news! Despite everything I still enjoy it when my husband is home.


Midmorning I got a call from Reform HQ in Jerusalem. Our congregation coordinator was organising a bus to take people out of the North, either to friends or host families.

I sent an email to our English-language notice board and again phoned people without an Internet connection. They were pleased to hear from me again and were touched by the display of concern but they had no intention of leaving.


Later Jerusalem phoned again. They had activity kits for the children in shelters and asked me to help putting them in touch with the local municipalities. Both town hall’s were abuzz with activity and were appreciative of any help we could offer.



Yet again it was a day of phone calls, email and news by evening I felt physically joined to my computer.


ES

No comments: