Monday, July 24, 2006

After The Big Orange

So I never finished my story of the trip to Tel Aviv.

We stayed on the beach a couple of hours and got a little sunburnt but not badly.

We phoned everyone to say we had arrived safely. A friend phoned us; concerned she hadn’t been able to reach me at home. She laughed when she heard where we were. She was in Naharia, katuyshas dropping all around.

We went to visit my husband’s aunt. She is only about five years our senior so is really more like an older sister to my husband. She has four children: two teenage boys and younger twin girls, about the same age as my son.

I am always surprised at how patient the boys are with the smaller children; they always have been even before their sisters were born.

The children mixed well and had a great time playing with the Playstation and running in and out of the large sitting room, squealing with pleasure.

After an enjoyable visit we left quite late and as always forgot that the coastal road is often jammed up on a Saturday night.

The play on clutch and accelerator was extremely wearing for my husband. It took nearly an hour before we were travelling freely and by then we were almost in Haifa. My husband had to pull over and refresh himself, glad that there were still drinks and snacks in the back.

Most of Haifa was closed up but the burekas and falafel stands on Yafo road were still open, though nearly empty, and the lights in the Bahai gardens were beautiful.

As we neared home we saw the lights of an artillery encampment and realised the increased noise was explained by their increased proximity.

We got home around midnight and shuffled the children inside. My mother phoned to check we had arrived and we chat until even I am too tired to talk.

Sunday

The first day of the week. Shlomi is relatively quiet. The artillery has a certain rhythm that we soon get used to.

The news elsewhere is not so good. Naharia and Haifa are still getting pounded and there are casualties.

A neighbour told my parents that the municipality had organised a short stay for some families in Beer Sheva.

How come we didn’t know? During The Grapes of Wrath they sent round leaflets. This time there almost no communication.

I suspect that they have only told people in the shelters when really it is the children stuck at home in security rooms who need social activities more than anyone.

Having spent Friday on the phone inquiring about the delivery of the activity kits I know the municipality are answering the phones. When I get through I say I’ve heard there were activities for children and inquire what is available.

Beer Sheva is not mentioned but on Tuesday they are arranging a trip to a water park. I sign up straight away then phone back several times today until I receive all the details.

Now I just have to make sure we get ready in time for the 7am bus!

ES

2 comments:

Abby said...

I found your blog through Israelisms and just wanted to say hello and let you know that you are in my family's thoughts and prayers. Also, I am enjoying your writing. You express ideas and thoughts very well. You should keep all your journals together to use for a novel later on. Be blessed and stay safe. Stacey from Georgia

Anonymous said...

Esther, I don't know if you remember me or not, but I'm on B and B. Ann posted the link to your blog, after getting an email from Dixie from Quilttalk. We all have been so concerned for you and your family during this time. You are in our prayers, and at my church also. I'm really enjoying your writing, as it seems to impart more of the realness of the situation than the news accounts could ever do. They are so impersonal, and don't fully express the horror of war. Please now that all the bablers are praying, and wishing you and yours safety and peace as soon as possible. Stormie