Thursday, August 10, 2006

I’m all ears

Ears in this conflict are very important.

Foremost I listen to hear if it’s a boom (outgoing) or a bang (incoming).
I listen to the jets overhead but if the whine is too slight I worry that it might be a drone sent to spy on us or worse.
When I hear a plane I know there is a fire raging nearby and the plane is carrying water to assist the fire fighters.

Right now I am standing close to the window and I hear helicopters whirring above us. But I am a little worried because they are staying overhead not flying towards Lebanon. The boom of artillery seems to be louder and I’m not sure but was that a pop of helicopter fire amongst the booms.
Has someone tried to infiltrate the border?
Suddenly there is the sound of heavy gunfire – they have found a target. The firing stops for a while and I hear an army vehicle chasing down the road. They fire again and again and another army vehicle rushes past.

I check Ynet but there is nothing.

Instead I watch the news leading with the sad story of 15 dead soldiers. As their beautiful young faces appear on the screen my heart seems to shrink.
Then more sorrow as they move on to the story of a mother and children killed by a katyusha that fell on an Arab village.

ES

No comments: